TITLE: DOLPHIN PROGRAM SUMMER INTERN
REPORTS TO: DOLPHIN PROGRAM SITE MANAGER
HOUSING PROVIDED MON-FRI
BASIC FUNCTIONS: The Dolphin Program is one of several programs run by the Block Island Maritime Institute (BIMI) and provides middle and high school students enrolled in the College Crusade of Rhode Island with a weeklong residential maritime educational experience. Participants learn about Block Island marshes and ecology, Great Salt Pond water quality and bird banding. The program is hands-on using Block Island as the classroom.
EMPLOYMENT DATES: July 6 to August 14, 2018. Actual program dates are July 9 to August 10. The candidate will have time up front and on the back end for preparation and to write a summary report. For context, BIMI is in operation from June 25 to August 25 and there are three post-graduate BIMI Interns with whom the candidate will be interacting.
- Assist with the implementation of the Dolphin curriculum with Crusaders.
- Provide direct supervision of Crusaders in the classroom and on field trips.
- Promote academic success and personal development.
- Participate in the BIMI programs offered to the general public when not with the Dolphin program. This will include set up, acquiring materials, assisting with revising current programs, leading presentations and clean up.
- Assist the College Crusade staff with activities of daily living with Crusaders including overnight.
- Serve as a positive role model throughout the program
Education: Upper classman currently enrolled in an accredited college or university with a major or strong interest in marine science, ecology or marine environmental education.
Experience: Prior experience working with youth, especially diverse populations.
Special Skills: This position requires the ability to engage middle and high school adolescents in planned activities. The ideal candidate will be mature, highly motivated, able to take initiative, demonstrate sound judgment and good problem solving skills. Must be able to multi task and work independently and as part of a team. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must. Being bi-lingual in Spanish a plus. Must be reliable and responsible.
Transportation: Not needed on the Island but bringing a bicycle is recommended
Housing: Housing will be provided by BIMI Monday-Friday. The Intern will travel to BI with the students on Monday morning and return with the students on Friday. Weekend housing will be the responsibility of the Intern.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Send the following via email to: email@example.com
- Cover letter (500 words or less) explaining your career goals, what you can gain from the experience and what you can bring to BIMI and the Dolphin program.
- Current resume including any specialized certifications and skills.
- Two letters of reference from either a faculty member or employer or other non-family member. Candidate is responsible for ensuring the submission of the reference letters.
- Pass a background check.
In order to be considered, it is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure their application is complete.
HOW TO APPLY FOR BIMI JOBS:
Send completed application materials by email to the Block Islands Maritime Institute at Bimi02807@gmail.com by February 23rd, 2018. Please indicate that the application is for the “Dolphin Intern.” If additional information is needed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Judy Gray at 401-466-9804.